The scene where you take your baby for the first time does not go before your eyes for life. Your emotions at that moment are very different emotions that you have not felt before.Your baby is so tiny and delicate that you are too afraid to touch it or harm it. Feeding and caring for this miniature may be a little intimidating.
Especially umbilical cord (umbilical cord) is what most newly mothers fear most. Don't panic, there's nothing to worry about! If you know about babies and learn the tricks, you will be the best person to take care of him in the world.
If you have questions about your umbilical cord in mind; Read on to find out the answers to questions like what is umbilical cord, what it does, how it should be cared for, and when it falls.
What is the umbilical cord?
The bond between the mother and the baby begins before the mother finds out that she is pregnant.
After fertilization, the embryo continues to develop completely dependent on the mother. umbilical cord begins to exchange nutrients and oxygen with the mother through a bond called.
This cord is rich in blood vessels soft and curvy, hose. The umbilical cord consists of;
- A vein carrying oxygen and nutrients from the mother to the baby,
- Two arteries that carry waste from contaminated blood to the placenta.
Because the baby's life will be at risk with an adverse situation, umbilical cord is very important for the development of the baby. Umbilical cord problems during pregnancy are as follows:
- The most common problem is cord entanglement. It happens because the baby wraps the cord around the neck while moving in the womb. Usually it does not cause a negative situation in the baby, but sometimes blood flow in the vein adversely affect the baby's nutrition.
- Another problem is the formation of a knot on the cord. This problem is thought to be due to the length of one of the vessels.
- A rare problem is cord jams. It is a condition where the cord is trapped between the baby's arms and legs.
- It is a short cord condition where the umbilical cord is shorter than 35 cm.
When does the umbilical cord fall?The umbilical cord, the concrete bond between the mother and the baby, persists until the birth. From the baby's belly button after birth Clamped from 3-4 cm above cut.
In about a week or two, it loses its jelly-like consistency, gradually turns from yellow to brown and then dries well. After the umbilical cord falls for the belly button to fully heal, it should take about another week.
How Should Umbilical Cord Care Be Used in Infants?
The care of the umbilical cord for fresh mothers can be a bit scary. But there is nothing to worry about if you know how to do the right maintenance.
Your doctor or nurse will inform you about this. However we still umbilical cord care Let's remind how to do, care what should be considered:
- cord Keeping clean and dry It is important. Keeping your baby's cord outside while breathing in your baby will allow you to heal faster. If the diaper is of a size that exceeds the core, you may try to fold a portion of the diaper from the top.
- In the past, pediatricians recommended that the umbilical cord be cleaned with alcohol. Nowadays, however, it is argued that the bond's self-healing is more correct. Because alcohol is believed to cause irritation and delay healing. However, it is best to consult your doctor.
- Navel care in newborn it is very important not to contact with water until the bond falls. In this process, of course you will want to have your baby bath. However, it is important to take care to protect the umbilical cord from water while taking a bath in order to prevent infection and to heal sooner. Instead of having a bath in the bathtub until the umbilical cord falls, you can clean your mini with baby sponge.
- Change your baby's diaper frequently so that the cord area does not come into contact with urine and feces. You can gently clean the area around the vineyard with a cloth moistened with boiled and warm water. And you don't have to worry if I hurt my baby. Because there are no nerve endings in the umbilical cord.
- Do not interfere with the baby's umbilical cord in any way and wait for it to fall on its own.
What are the Symptoms of Umbilical Infection?
Rarely encountered, but sometimes your baby umbilical cord infection develop. The situations where you will suspect infection are as follows;
- Redness or swelling around the umbilical cord,
- Crying of the baby when the cord or skin is touched,
- Bad smell coming from the cord,
- Yellowish discharge from the cord,
If you see such symptoms in your baby, you should consult your doctor. During the healing process, you may occasionally observe a small amount of bleeding in your baby's umbilical cord. This is normal if the bleeding stops if you apply some pressure to the bleeding area.However, if you apply pressure for more than five minutes, if the bleeding still does not stop, you should call your doctor immediately.
Early intervention in the formation of infection is very important as it prevents its spread.
Umbilical Cord Falls Before or After Time
If the umbilical cord falls too early and does not fall for a long time, it may cause some problems. Fall of umbilical cord If the bleeding occurs early and the risk of infection increases, the fact that it has not fallen for up to a month suggests that it may be an anatomical disorder.
Sometimes, instead of falling off the bottom of the cord, a part of the cord remains in place. In this case, if the remaining part falls after a few days, it is usually no problem. However, sometimes this situation may pave the way for infection.
Importance of Vitamin K in Newborn Babies
Vitamin K has an important role in blood clotting and since there is a high risk of vitamin K deficiency in newborn infants, it is important to avoid any bleeding. Vitamin K is made of injections or dropwise.
Vitamin K deficiency infant umbilical cord prolonged bleeding may occur after falling. Sometimes, even in infants with vitamin K supplementation, this may be the case. In such a case, it is aimed to stop the bleeding by adding vitamin K.
// www. / 0-6-month-baby-nutrition /
You will have many worries about your baby from pregnancy. However, if you know the truth, you will get rid of these concerns.
Infants umbilical cord care is also an issue you should not be afraid of when you know about it. As long as you take good care of your baby and follow it well, you will not have any problems.